[Air-L] blog photo copyrights

Annette Markham amarkham at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 12:39:30 PDT 2011

Hi Johanna,

Your question actually raises some other issues about ownership of
content.  Aside from intellectual property,  there's the consideration of
whether or not the bloggers consider their blog to be private or public
space.  While some authors of public blogs consider these to be freely
available for reproduction and analysis by researchers, other authors
consider their blogs to be private spaces.  Even when users  acknowledge
their information as public, they might have concerns about how their
information is used (see boyd and Marwick's recent discussion of this in a
study of youth facebook users ("social privacy in networked
publics<http://www.zephoria.org/thoughts/archives/2011/05/09/how-teens-understand-privacy.html>,"
--a working paper on danah boyd's website), or from a more conceptual
perspective, Nissenbaum's 2010 book on Privacy and Contextual Integrity.)

You may have already gone through this stage, but one ethical consideration
would be to ask yourself if there's a chance the content or photos would be
considered 'sensitive' materials.  What potential harm might occur if
personally identifiable information is disclosed in your book?  Is any
possible harm (present or future) balanced in some way by the social and
scholarly benefits of your reproducing and publishing the content of these
blogs?

Taking a conservative stance and assuming that at some point, the bloggers
might feel compromised or harmed, one might ask: is there a way to make the
point without using personal (copyrighted, protected, private) pictures?
Could other images (your own or stock) be used instead, as a representative
sample of what is actually out there?  This avenue might also help solve
some logistic issues of getting permission if the bloggers don't respond to
your requests.

As far as getting permissions, I'd add that it's always a good idea to keep
a careful record of the permission process (for any future reference and
potential problems that might arise). I don't know about German laws, but
if there are no formal procedures, you might have a look at some of the
excellent models and recommendations from various universities. I tend to
use Columbia University's copyright advisory office when I need advice on
developing systematic procedures for seeking permissions:
http://copyright.columbia.edu/copyright/permissions/requesting-permission/

Good luck,

annette
Annette N. Markham, Ph.D.
Visiting Scholar, Department of Communication
University of Arizona, Tucson

amarkham at gmail.com
http://markham.internetinquiry.org/

Co-Editor, International Journal of Internet Research Ethics
http://www.ijire.net <http://www.ijire.net>