[Air-L] Tenure/Track Position in Digital Comm and SNS @ NEU

Joseph Reagle joseph.2011 at reagle.org
Thu Nov 10 06:55:29 PST 2011

FYI: We've just begun a Digital Comm search at Northeastern. I'm on the committee and am happy to answer any questions.

Tenure Track Assistant/Associate Professor
Department of Communication Studies Northeastern University

The Department of Communication Studies at Northeastern University invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor to begin September 1, 2012. We are seeking candidates who will excel in the research and teaching of digital communications (e.g., youth, global development, social change and protest) and social networking services (e.g., Facebook, Google+, bookmarking). We are open to a range of methodological approaches and welcome multi- and inter-disciplinary scholarship though we are interested in candidates capable of teaching research methods or communication theory from a social science perspective. The successful candidate must be able to document teaching excellence and to speak to the importance of achieving and maintaining diversity in higher education. Women and members of underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply. The successful candidate must have an earned doctorate by August 2012 in Communication or a related field.

The Department of Communication Studies is committed to excellence in research and teaching within a broad framework of experiential education and community engagement. Communication Studies is primarily an undergraduate-serving department with courses that range across a number of areas such as rhetorical studies, organizational communication, health communication, digital communications, and intercultural communication.

How To Apply

Review of applications will begin on December 5, 2011 and full consideration will be given to applications received by December 30, 2011. Each applicant should send a letter that addresses the selection criteria and indicates how her/his background and expertise fit with the needs of the department. Samples of scholarship, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and the names and contact information of at least three references should accompany the letter. To apply, visit the College of Arts, Media and Design website at <http://www.northeastern.edu/camd/> and click on the Faculty Positions button. Questions may be addressed to Prof. Tom Nakayama, Search Committee Chair, at: 617-373-7342 or email at t.nakayama at neu.edu.

Additional Information

Founded in 1898, Northeastern University is a private research university located in the heart of Boston and a leader in interdisciplinary research, urban engagement, and the integration of classroom learning with real-world experience.