[Air-L] question re research on hostility towards women in online communities

T. Kennedy tkennedy at netwomen.ca
Tue Nov 22 07:43:58 PST 2011

Thks Todd!

Here are a couple of items from over the years:

Kennedy, T. (2000). "An Exploratory Study of Feminist Experiences in
Cyberspace" in Cyber Psychology and Behaviour, Vol 3 (5), pp 707-719.

Kennedy, T. (2007). "The Personal is Political: Feminist Blogging and
Virtual Consciousness-Raising" in The Scholar & Feminist Online Journal,
(eds) Gwendolyn Beetham & Jessica Valenti, Vol 5 (2).

Conferences -

Association of Internet Researchers Conference, Seattle, Washington,
October 2011. "Peeking into the Boy's Clubhouse: Masculine Discourses in
Call of Duty".

Association of Internet Researchers, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, October 2009:
"'The voices in my head are idiots' Rethinking Barriers for Female Gamers &
the Importance of Online Communities"

American Sociology Association - Communication, Information & Technologies
Mini-Conference, New York/Second Life, August 2007: "Women's Online Gaming
Communities: Don't Hate the Game, Hate the Players".

Association of Internet Researchers, Chicago, Illinois, October 2005: "Does
Gender Matter? Examining Conversations in the Blogosphere".

Tracy