[Air-L] blogs and confidentiality

Porter, James E. Dr. porterje at muohio.edu
Mon Nov 28 11:09:03 PST 2011

Hi Terri,

How come Beckett gets protection, even though he is dead? If I publish print material, like Beckett did, my written work is protected to some extent. But if I die, according to your logic, ever say anywhere in any context is might be fair game because you can't find me to secure consent. What about my estate?

Thanks for your response. I didn't reveal the entirety of my logic in that last post ... in fact, I agree with your point. In an article titled "The Ethics of Archival Research" (currently under review), Heidi McKee and I consider as one of our key questions the rights of the dead. To summarize, the dead do have legal and ethical rights, and not only copyrights transferred to heirs.

Best,
Jim Porter

------------------------------------
James E. Porter, Professor
Department of English and
Armstrong Institute for Interactive Media Studies
Director of Composition

Department of English
Bachelor Hall 356A
Miami University