[Air-L] Searching names on Facebook

Leurs, K.H.A. (Koen) K.H.A.Leurs at uu.nl
Tue Nov 15 07:23:30 PST 2011

Dear all,

I'm a graduate student in humanities in the Netherlands working on ethnic minority youth use of digital media for identity expression purposes. I am wondering whether anyone on the list knows how to find out how many people go by a particular name on Facebook. More specifically I want to look at how often ethnic self-definitional labels of "Mocro", "Desi" and "Nikkei" appear, to get a sense of the commonality of using such terms. (I am aware FB asks users to provide their real names, but from my interviews I have learned that many young people subvert this policy by composing nicknames).

Kind regards,

Koen.

Koen Leurs | Phd student Graduate Gender Programme | Utrecht University | Muntstraat 2a, 3512 EV Utrecht | tel. 030-253 7859 | K.H.A.Leurs at uu.nl | www.uu.nl/wiredup | www.koenleurs.net  | www.digitalcrossroads.nl