[Air-L] Reminder! CFP Local and Mobile conference 2012

Irina Shklovski irsh at itu.dk
Fri Oct 14 11:00:53 PDT 2011

***This is a reminder that the call for paper for the Local and Mobile
conference ends on October 30th, 2011. Please submit your abstract
before the deadline via our website below.***

*
Local and mobile: Linking mobilities, mobile communication and locative
media*
a joint international conference of the Pan-American Mobilities Network
and the Cosmobilities Network, and the 3rd annual research symposium of
the Communication, Rhetoric and Digital Media (CRDM) program at NCSU.

*Conference website and abstract submission:
*http://crdm.chass.ncsu.edu/mobilities/

*Invited keynote speakers:*
·      Paul Dourish (University of California, Irvine)
·      Rich Ling (IT University of Copenhagen)
·      Teri Rueb (University of Buffalo, SUNNY)

Mobilities has become an important framework to understand and analyze
contemporary social, spatial, economic and political practices. Being
interdisciplinary in its nature, Mobilities focuses on the systematic
movement of people, goods and information that “travel” around the world
in rates much higher (or much slower) than before. As such, mobility
studies challenge traditional scholarship that often ignores the social
dimensions of mobility, overlooking how travel, movement, and
communication and transportation networks help to constitute modern
societies and communities. Mobility has always been critical for the
creation of social networks and to the development of connections to
places. In addition, Mobilities contributes to study of the
technological, social and cultural developments in transportation,
border control, mobile communication, “intelligent” infrastructure,
surveillance.

While mobility is an important framework to understand contemporary
society, the pervasiveness of location-aware technology has made it
possible to locate ourselves and be networked within patterns of
mobility. As user generated maps and location-aware mobile devices
become commonplace, we experience a shift in the way we connect to the
internet and move through space. Networked interactions permeate our
world. We no longer enter the internet--we carry it with us. We
experience it while moving through physical spaces. Mobile phones, GPS
receivers, and RFID tags are only a few examples of location-aware
mobile technologies that mediate our interaction with networked spaces
and influence how we move in these spaces. Increasingly, our physical
location determines the types of information with which we interact, the
way we move through physical spaces, and the people and things we find
around us. These new kinds of networked interactions manifest in
everyday social practices that are supported by the use of mobile and
location-aware technologies, such as participation in location-based
mobile games and social networks, use of location-based services,
development of mobile annotation projects, and social mapping, just to
name a few. The engagement with these practices has important
implications for identity construction, our sense of privacy, our
notions of place and space, civic and political participation, policy
making, as well as cultural production and consumption in everyday life.

We invite papers that address themes at the intersection of mobility and
location, or related topics, such as:
·      Mobile communication and location awareness in everyday life
practices;
·      New urban spatialities developed with mobile gaming and locative
social media;
·      Privacy and surveillance issues as they relate to mobile and
location-based social networks;
·      Identity and spatial construction through locative media art /
embodied performance;
·      Civic engagement and political participation through mobile
social media, new mapping practices and location-aware technologies;
·      Borders, surveillance, and securitization with ubiquitous and
mobile technologies;
·      Aeromobilities, air travel, and aerial vision;
·      Alternative mobilities and slow movements;
·      Planning, policy and design for future mobilities and
location-based services;
·      Tourism, imaginary travel, and virtual travel;
·      Transitions toward sustainable mobilities;
·      New methodologies for mobilities research.

Disciplines represented at the conference may include (but are not
exclusive to): Anthropology, Architecture and Design, Civil and
Environmental Engineering, Communication, Criminology, Cultural Studies,
Geography, Media and Visual Arts, Politics and International Relations,
Public Policy, Sociology, Theater and Performance Studies, Tourism
Research, Transport Research, and Urban Studies.

*Conference location:*
North Carolina State University, Raleigh (NC), USA

*Conference hotel:*
Brownstone Hotel (http://www.brownstonehotel.com/)
Discounted rates will be available to registered participants.

*Important dates:*
Deadline for abstracts: 30 October 2011 (800 words, including references)
Notification of acceptance: 15 December 2011
Registration deadline: 30 January 2012
Conference Dates: 16-18 March 2012

Please submit your abstracts through the conference website:
http://crdm.chass.ncsu.edu/mobilities/

*Organizing Committee:*
Adriana de Souza e Silva (NC State University, USA)
Heather Horst (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology, Australia)
Lee Humphreys (Cornell University, USA)
Ole B. Jensen (Aalborg University, Denmark)
Mimi Sheller (Drexel University, USA)
Irina Shklovski (IT University of Copenhagen, Denmark)
Phillip Vannini (Royal Roads University, Canada)

*For further information, contact:*
Adriana de Souza e Silva, Ph.D
Associate Professor of Communication
Interim Associate Director, Communication, Rhetoric, & Digital Media
Ph.D program
North Carolina State University
http://www.souzaesilva.com
adriana at souzaesilva.com <mailto:adriana at souzaesilva.com>