[Air-L] qualitative analysis for hypothesis generation and testing

Stuart Shulman stuart.shulman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 05:44:36 PDT 2011

http://www.screencast.com/t/gTJ2DsPQv5

In this Screencast I talk about the methods we developed over 10 years and
with the support of $4m in NSF funding for interdisciplinary teams involving
computer science, political science, education, statistics and sociology. In
particular, see slides 6 & 7 in the presentation.

I would also point to a 3-part series of blog posts on the "QDAP Method":

http://blog.texifter.com/index.php/2011/05/10/coding-text-using-the-qdap-method-part-one/
http://blog.texifter.com/index.php/2011/05/14/coding-text-part-two/
http://blog.texifter.com/index.php/2011/05/17/coding-text-part-three/

Much of this QDAP work is still firmly tied to the foundational free, open
source, Web-based application known as the Coding Analysis Toolkit (CAT),
where more than 2,500 users have uploaded over 7,500 datasets to code text,
measure inter-rater-reliability, and adjudicate the validity of coder
choices.:

http://cat.ucsur.pitt.edu/

CAT was originally a utility for users of ATLAS.ti who wanted to measure
inter-rater-reliability and it grew organically into a free toolkit used by
many graduate students around the world to develop, refine and test human
annotation schemes.