[Air-L] archival/search tools for Sina and Weibo?

Liao, Wang wngliao at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 21:56:39 PDT 2011

Hi Prof. Aaron,

I’ve some experiences in scrawling Sina Weibo, but I think it might be hard to download the data you mentioned currently.

I’ve conducted a research about Sina Weibo last year, when I wrote a scrawler script to parse the page and download it through the search function of Weibo. However, months later, Sina changed the feature of its search function, which only retrieves 50 recent pages. So it is impossible now to retrieve all data about that accident, since they were buried in later irrelevant posts. Meanwhile, using the API of Weibo is also impossible to get that data, because the search API is only open to Sina’s partners, while average individual developer can not use it.

Therefore, I am afraid that there is no third-party tools can get the data you mentioned (since it must use the search API). But since you know all relevant users, you might write some script to download all the posts from those users through parsing the page, and to filter out relevant posts.

Regards,
Liao, Wang