[Air-L] qualitative analysis for hypothesis generation and testing (cont'd)

Stuart Shulman stuart.shulman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 03:47:00 PDT 2011

Seda,

This qualitative literature wiki and paper summarize what we found in 2009.

LINK TO THE QUAL LITERATURE WIKI:
http://qual-reading.wikispaces.com/Articles

"Rigor and flexibility in computer-based qualitative research: Introducing
the Coding Analysis Toolkit"
Volume 2, Issue 1, June 2008 INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MULTIPLE RESEARCH
APPROACHES
Chi-Jung Lu and Stuart W Shulman

LINK TO THE PAPER:
http://www.umass.edu/qdap/IJMRA.pdf

ABSTRACT
Software to support qualitative research is both revered and reviled. Over
the last few decades,
users and skeptics have made competing claims about the utility, usability
and ultimate impact of
commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) software packages. This paper provides an
overview of the
debate and introduces a new web-based Coding Analysis Toolkit (CAT). It
argues that knowledgeable,
well-designed research using qualitative software is a pathway to increasing
rigor and
flexibility in research.

multiple coders; annotation;
adjudication; inter-rater reliability; tools

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 6:18 AM, Seda Guerses <sguerses at esat.kuleuven.be>wrote:

> todd harper from the list commented that what we are doing can also be seen
> as a meta-analysis of a discipline
>

> --

Stuart Shulman
President & CEO
Texifter, LLC <http://www.texifter.com/>

Have you tried DiscoverText?
http://discovertext.com
*Featuring the Facebook Graph & Twitter APIs*