[Air-L] scraping google discussion groups?

Andrew Schrock aschrock at usc.edu
Wed Oct 5 11:24:16 PDT 2011

Has anybody successfully scraped a Google discussion group? I found a script online, but it's thrown off by the fact you now have to login to view any groups.

Google is getting squirrely about spammers scraping their data, so it may be a big roadblock. I'm looking at authorization with the Google PHP lib, but I'm not sure it will get me to groups, it all seems app-focused (so if you want to add items to a Google calendar for instance).

Much appreciate any ideas that don't involve me adding 6000-some message to my analysis software by hand :/

best
Andrew

Andrew Schrock
USC Annenberg Doctoral Student