[Air-L] Survey of Comm Tech College Classes

CarrieLynn Reinhard ijedi7 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 15:23:24 PDT 2011

I'm a first-semester assistant professor at a small private university that wants to expand its comm tech courses for undergraduates.  I'm trying to get an idea of the current state of the field of college classes that talk about new media and other communication technology.  I do so to know what to say to my department as to what is going on out there -- not to steal anyone's trade secrets.  I'm interested in finding commonalities: what are others teaching about this phenomena doing that we could consider to be standards across the various courses?

What are some challenges teachers are facing preparing and conducting these courses?  What are common ways of teaching about the media in our students' lives?  Are there things we teach in common?  And how do we handle the ever-changing nature of the subject we teach?

CarrieLynn D. Reinhard, PhD