[Air-L] CFP: ICQI Panel - Gender Practices, Technology, and Teens: New Perspectives from Qualitative Research

Lois Scheidt lscheidt at indiana.edu
Tue Oct 18 06:04:42 PDT 2011

Greetings,

Following is a call for abstracts to be part of a proposed panel for
the International Congress on Qualitative Inquiry.(May 16-19m 2012)
held annually at the University of Illinois. My co-chair Judith
Davidson and I encourage researchers who are interested in any of the
issues outlined in the call to submit their work for presentation as
part of the panel.

I am happy to answer questions about the panel or the conference.

Thanks

Lois
______________
Panel Presentation
ICQI 2012

Gender Practices, Technology, and Teens:  New Perspectives from
Qualitative Research

Gender practices, that is, acts of definition, identification, and
interaction with others in ways that demonstrate one’s gendered
perspective has been with us as long as we have been human.  Not
surprisingly, in today’s digital world, gender is closely intertwined
with emerging technologies.  Gendered images and assumptions are built
into the presentation and uses of technologies, and technology users
make use of digital modes to practice gender, that is to define,
identify, and interact in ways that demonstrate their gendered
perspectives.  This is as true, for teens, as it is for other age
groups.  Teens, who are in a gendered transition as they are leaving
childhood and entering adulthood, can offer particular insights into
issues of gendered practice.  In this session, we present a collection
of papers that employ qualitative research to look at the intersection
of the teenage years and emerging technologies, using this focal point
as a lens for examining gender practices.  Our goal is to enlarge our
understanding of gendered practices, technology, and teens through the
presentation of research studies that provide intense and detailed
insight into the ways teens are both shaped and shaping of individual
and cultural gender possibilities through the new technologies in
their lives.

Abstracts of 150 words are being sought for inclusion in this panel.
Please submit abstracts to the co-chairs by November 15, 2011.

Co-Chairs:

Judith Davidson
Associate Professor
Graduate School of Education
University of Massachusetts-Lowel
Judith_Davidson at uml.edu

and

Lois Scheidt
Doctoral Candidate
Indiana University
lscheidt at indiana.edu

The Eight International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry will take
place at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign from May 16-19,
2012.
The theme of the 2012 Congress is “Qualitative Inquiry as Global Endeavor”.

The 2012 Congress will offer scholars the opportunity to debate these
issues, to foreground qualitative inquiry as a shared, global
endeavor, while engaging the politics of advocacy, pro and con, to
form coalitions, to engage in debate on how qualitative research can
be used to advance the causes of social justice, while addressing
racial, ethnic, gender and environmental disparities in education,
welfare and healthcare.
Sessions will take up such topics as: the politics of advocacy;
value-free inquiry; partisanship, bias; the politics of evidence;
alternatives to evidence-based models; multiple and mixed-methods;
public policy discourse; indigenous research ethics; decolonizing
inquiry. Contributors are invited to experiment with traditional and
new methodologies, with new presentational formats (ethnodrama,
performance, poetry, autoethnography, fiction). Such work will offer
guidelines and exemplars concerning advocacy, inquiry and social
justice concerns.

On May 16 there will be pre-conference special interest group events
and on May 17, morning and afternoon professional workshops. The
Congress will consist of keynote, plenary, featured, regular, and
poster sessions. There will be an opening reception and barbeque as
well as a closing old fashioned Midwest cook-out.

We invite your submission of paper, poster and session proposals.
Submissions will be accepted online only from August 15 until December
1 2011. Conference and workshop registration will begin October 1,
2011. To learn more about the 8th International Congress and how to
participate, please visit our website: (www.ICQI.org).

--
Lois Ann Scheidt
Doctoral Candidate - School of Library and Information Science,