[Air-L] my media theoretical take on Occupy Wall Street

qCentral qcentral at indiana.edu
Sun Oct 16 16:00:47 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Prompted by Paul Levinson's take on Occupy Wall Street:

I would love to hear more about direct engagement with/at the campaigns on the ground from Paul and others?

I heard some FANTASTIC presentations at the AoIR IR12 conference that definitely spoke indirectly to the nascent OWS actions (particularly a great session chaired by Cara Wallis) but I didn't get any chances to hear from researchers working directly with OWS activists or as activist-researchers involved in OWS now?

Paul: your blog below is definitely thought-provoking but I'd really welcome hearing how/if your experiences with the movements there in NYC or elsewhere have directly shaped your theories here or are you drawing inspiration from a read of the discourses constructing OWS in popular and digital media? Maybe just an asterisk on your methodological approach here?

Best and looking forward to seeing more of AoIR scholarship and action in the OWS mix.
Mary
_______________________
On sabbatical until January 9, 2012

Mary L. Gray, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Communication and Culture
Affiliate Faculty, Gender Studies
Adjunct Faculty, American Studies
Adjunct Faculty, Anthropology
Indiana University
800 E. 3rd Street
Bloomington, IN 47405

Email: mLg at indiana.edu
Phone: 812-855-4379
Fax:  812-855-6014

BLOG for "Out in the Country, Youth, Media, and Queer Visibility in Rural America" (NYU Press 2009)
@ http://queercountry.fromthesquare.org/