[Air-L] Arab spring & social media evidence

simon collister simon_collister at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 18 09:51:34 PDT 2011

Apologies if this has already been posted but I felt Dan McQuillan's paper from earlier in the year is a perfect response to John's analysis, and definitely worth sharing:

New Social Networks with Old Technology - What the Egyptian Shutdown tells us about Social Media -
http://www.internetartizans.co.uk/socnets_with_old_tech_egypt

Abstract
Egypt is the latest in a series of countries to witness the
powerful potential of modern social media to catalyse and mobilise
people around social issues. The Egyptian government response was to
have the internet and mobile networks completely shut down. This was,
however, not the end of the role that social media ideas played in the
events that followed. People inside and outside of Egypt collaborated to
 re-create the missing networks using the still-available technologies
of landlines, dial-up and ham radio.

This paper argues that this use of
pre-digital technologies to form the kinds of infrastructure afforded by
 modern social technologies is evidence of a radical change in people’s
perceptions of their world and its connectedness. Social media has
constituted a real change that goes beyond specific technologies. This
flies in the face of many sceptical critics who argue that new
technologies only reinforce old practices and social structures.

This view of the effects of social media
presents a challenge to its study. Technological studies and formal
analyses of relationships inscribed in social networks will never be
able to capture fully the way people understand and interact with these
technologically-enabled structures.

In this paper, I use the internet
shutdown in Egypt to raise issues that I believe need to be considered
in analysing the influence of social media on social movements. I
discuss how existing models need to become hybridic, heterogeneous and
responsive to the grassroots appropriation of technology, especially the
 future creation of alternatives to the corporate internet. In
conclusion, I analyse the phrase 'Egypts Facebook Youth' as the emblem
of social media's impact.

www.simoncollister.com | http://twitter.com/simoncollister