[Air-L] Two Digital Media Assistant Professor Positions (UW-Madison)

Hernando Rojas hrojas at wisc.edu
Wed Sep 14 07:55:38 PDT 2011

Dear colleagues

The School of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Wisconsin-Madison seeks two full-time, tenure-track assistant professors with demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching and research on digital media. One of the two positions will involve half-time teaching and other participation in the cross-departmental Digital Studies Certificate Initiative (http://digitalstudies.wisc.edu/). Applicants automatically will be considered for both positions. The appointments begin August 27, 2012.

We invite applications from scholars with teaching and research interests in journalism and/or strategic communication via multiple platforms in the digital age. The successful applicants will develop conceptual courses and graduate seminars related to digital media, as well as help expand the School’s undergraduate offerings to majors and non-majors with courses that explore issues such as media fluency in the digital era, digital media economics, or digital media practices and uses in various political, social, and cultural contexts. In addition to developing and maintaining a robust research portfolio, each of our new colleagues will advise and mentor highly motivated master’s and doctoral students.

The School’s standard teaching load is two courses per semester.

Required: A doctoral degree, completed or expected by August 2012, in mass communication or other allied fields; a record of or demonstrated potential for high-quality research and teaching commensurate with experience. A record of professional digital media experience outside the university setting would be highly valued, as would expertise that bridges journalism and strategic communication.

About us: Faculty members will join a community of productive scholars who value research from myriad conceptual, analytic, and methodological perspectives. Current faculty members’ interests include: media psychology and sociology; political communication; science and health communication; media law, history, and ethics; digital media; global media; and media studies of race and gender. Faculty members also teach in our innovative undergraduate curriculum and oversee one the country’s top graduate programs in journalism and mass communication.

The School of Journalism and Mass Communication, one of the country’s oldest and most well established, is part of a fine public university, with outstanding intellectual resources, teaching and research laboratories, and other sources of research support. Housed within the College of Letters and Science, it also is home to the Center for Journalism Ethics, the Mass Communication Research Center, the Center for Environmental Communications and Education Studies, and the Center for Communication and Democracy. UW-Madison is known for its interdisciplinary research and teaching evidenced in the School through the many affiliations our faculty maintain with other units on campus.

The School of Journalism and Mass Communication is committed to building a culturally diverse intellectual community and strongly encourages applications from women, racial and ethnic minorities, and other underrepresented groups.

How to apply: Applications should be limited to:

(a) an application letter explaining how the candidate’s academic training and background, including research, teaching qualifications and/or professional experience, make the applicant highly suitable for the position;

(b) a current curriculum vitae, which, on the final page, lists full contact information for three references; and

(c)  a single letter of reference from a faculty member who is best able to assess your match with this position and potential for success at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

In our review process, we may ask some applicants to submit one solo- or lead-authored article or other writing sample no longer than one academic paper or one chapter from a dissertation or book. We also may seek additional letters of reference for some applicants or will contact references directly. However, we ask that candidates limit their applications to a, b, and c above until we request additional materials.

To submit your materials for consideration, send to digmedapp at journalism.wisc.edu as PDFs. Please have your reference send her or his letter to the same email address, with your name in the subject line.

Telephone or email inquiries about the positions are welcome. Contact Professor Jo Ellen Fair, Search Committee Chair, at 608.263.2199 or searchchair at journalism.wisc.edu.

For full consideration, complete applications must be received by Nov. 10, 2011.

Unless confidentiality is requested in writing, information regarding the applications must be released upon request. Finalists cannot be guaranteed confidentiality. Employment may require a criminal background check. EOE/AA.

See also PVL 71670 on the University’s employment website: http://www.ohr.wisc.edu/pvl/ohrpv_fa_00_org.html

Hernando Rojas
Associate Professor
School of Journalism & Mass Communication
Latin American, Caribbean and Iberian Studies Program
Associate Director - Center for Communication & Democracy
University of Wisconsin - Madison