[Air-L] Reading Communities from Salons to Cyberspace

DeNel Rehberg Sedo DeNel.RehbergSedo at msvu.ca
Wed Sep 28 11:37:09 PDT 2011

Dear List Members,

some of you might be interested in a book I've edited. "Reading Communities from Salons to Cyberspace," published by Palgrave Macmillan, is now available in Australia, Canada, the US, and the UK. The collection contains 10 essays that build upon the influential work of book historians who question the assumption of the isolated individual reader. The authors in this collection draw attention to the relationships readers forge with one another and demonstrate how these social interactions influence the very personal relationship a reader enjoys with a book.

Along with the assumption that shared reading is both a social process and a social formation, there are three distinct links evident in the reading communities presented in Reading Communities from Salons to Cyberspace: 1) the notion of community, and questions about what constitutes community;  2) the role of education; and, 3) mixed-method forms of inquiry. The authors present cogent and lively discussions of a wide variety of communal reading practices, and in the process demonstrate that intellectual rewards accrue when we set aside obstructive disciplinary, theoretical and methodological assumptions.

Please see Palgrave’s catalogue for more information (http://us.macmillan.com/readingcommunitiesfromsalonstocyberspace/DeNelRehbergSedo)

I would appreciate you sending this note on to colleagues, students or peers who might be interested, and especially to your favourite acquisitions librarian.

My apologies for cross-listing.

Thank you, DeNel

DeNel Rehberg Sedo, PhD
Associate Professor, Dept. of Communication Studies
MSVU
166 Bedford Hwy, Seton Annex #30
Halifax, NS B3M 2J6 Canada

902.457.6478