[Air-L] Facebook Group Research & Tools

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 10:51:13 PDT 2011

This may be too far afield from what you mean by "must-have" literature -
but the recent publication _ Facebook and Philosophy_, edited by D.E.
Wittkower (in the "Popular Culture and Philosophy Series" by Open Court) has
a number of first-rate essays that provide a range of perspectives (from
very supportive to very critical) re. issues of privacy, the nature of
friendship online, social networking, identity, etc.
Not every essay is as good as the best ones - but the best ones are very
useful indeed for providing critical but balanced and philosophically
well-informed analyses and insights.
While these may not directly help with research per se, they might well help
in shaping research questions in useful ways, especially as they challenge
prevailing stereotypes, etc.

In any event - good luck!
- Charles Ess
Institut for Informations- og Medievidenskab
Helsingforsgade 14
8200 Århus N.
Denmark
mail: <imvce at hum.au.dk>
tel: (+45) 8942 9250

Professor, Philosophy and Religion
Drury University, Springfield, Missouri 65802 USA

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23