[Air-L] IRB and social media

Tuszynski, Stephanie STuszynski at bethanywv.edu
Tue Sep 27 07:56:29 PDT 2011

Shelia - the listservs may be a complicated situation unless you or your students run them. You might want to ask the list moderators for permission if there aren't explicit rules about off topic discussion you can cite that apply to sharing a survey link. However, sending out a survey link via your own content streams (social networks) should be fine since they're yours.

It might help grease the skids with your IRB if you point them to the Ethics Guide written by the AoIR Ethics Working Group: http://aoir.org/documents/ethics-guide/
Your IRB may just have no idea what guidelines to apply to online research if they've never done any of it. If you show them the Guide, and say "Here, these are the leading experts in the field and we're adhering to the standards they wrote" it might make the IRB feel more confident that there are rules and you're following them.

Good luck!

Dr. Stephanie Tuszynski
Assistant Professor of Communications and Media Arts
Bethany College
Bethany, WV

Message: 7