[Air-L] Computers and Popular Culture

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 05:52:50 PDT 2011

Very nice list, of course - thanks for putting it together for us.

Still, I'm surprised by the omission of Sherry Turkle's recent book, _Alone
Together: Why We Expect More of Technology and Less of Each Other_.  As it
documents especially her more recent series of concerns re. our engagements
with computers as instantiated in robots, in contrast with her earlier
enthusiasms for our engagements with computers and CMC, it strikes me as a
watershed volume along these lines.
In different directions: depending on what we emphasize re. "computation"
and understand by "popular culture" - you might get some interesting
overlaps and certainly important differences by interrogating two other
lists: the list for the International Association for Computing and
Philosophy (ia-cap.org - mailing list free) and HUMANIST, the venerable list
of Digital Humanities (easy to find and join).
Let us know if you do!
cheers,
Charles Ess
Professor MSO
Institut for Informations- og Medievidenskab
Helsingforsgade 14
8200 Århus N.
Denmark
mail: <imvce at hum.au.dk>
tel: (+45) 8942 9250

Professor, Philosophy and Religion
Drury University, Springfield, Missouri 65802 USA

Exemplary persons seek harmony, not sameness. -- Analects 13.23