[Air-L] men and the internet

Ben Light B.Light at salford.ac.uk
Tue Sep 27 00:01:39 PDT 2011

Hey Gavin,

Here are a few that might be of help. If you get a chance to repost the
full list, back to the list, that'd be really appreciated. Cheers, Ben.

BOLDING G, DAVIS M, SHERR L and HART G (2004) Use of gay internet sites
and views about online health promotion among men who have sex with men.
AIDS Care 16(8), 993–1001.
Campbell, J. E. (2004). Getting It On Online: Cyberspace, Gay Male
Sexuality and Emboddied Identity. New York, Harrington Parker Press.
Campbell, J. E. (2005). "Outing PlanetOut: Surveillance, Gay Marketing
and Internet Affinity Portals." New Media and Society 7(5): 663-683.
Cant, B. (2004) "Facilitating Social Networks Among Gay Men."
Sociological Research Online 9.
Fletcher, G. and B. Light (2007). "Going Offline: An Exploratory
Cultural Artifact Analysis of an Internet Dating Site's Development
Trajectories." International Journal of Information Management 27(6):
422-431.
Light, B. (2007). "Introducing Masculinity Studies to Information
Systems Research: the Case of Gaydar." European Journal of Information
Systems 16(5): 658-665.
Light, B., G. Fletcher and Adam, A. (2008). "Gay men, Gaydar and the
commodification of difference." Information Technology and People 21(3):
300-314.
LIVIA A (2002) Public and clandestine: gay men’s pseudonyms on the
French Minitel. Sexualities 5(2), 201–217.
Murphy, D., P. Rawstorne, et al. (2004). Cruising and Connecting Online:
The use of Internet Chat Sites by Gay Men in Sydney and Melbourne.
Sydney, National Centre in HIV Social Research, Faculty of Arts and
Social Sciences, The University of New South Wales.
O’RIORDAN K (2005) From usenet to gaydar: a comment on queer online
community. Siggroup Bulletin 25(2), 28–32.

Additionally, check out Sharif Mowlabowcus' 2010 book, Gaydar Culture,
it's published by Ashgate and has an extensive bibliography.

(Also, not specifically the Internet, but potentially helpful)

ERIKSSON-ZETTERQUIST U and KNIGHTS D (2004) Stories about men
implementing and resisting new technologies. New Technology, Work and
Employment 19(3), 192–206.
LOHAN M (2001) Men, masculinities and "mundane" technologies: the
domestic telephone. In Virtual Gender (ADAM A and GREEN E, Eds), pp
189–206, Routledge, London.
LOHAN M and FAULKNER W (2004) Masculinities and technologies. Men and
Masculinities 6(4), 319–329.
MOORE LJ and SCHMIDT MA (1999) On the construction of male differences:
marketing variations in technosemen. Men and Masculi- nities 1(4), 331–351.

Ben Light
Professor of Digital Media
Communication, Cultural and Media Studies Research Centre
Associate Head of School - Research and Innovation
School of Media, Music and Performance
University of Salford
Adelphi House
SALFORD
M3 6EN

Tel. +44 (0)161 295 5443

www.benlight.org
www.smmp.salford.ac.uk

On 27/09/2011 03:24, natalya godbold wrote:
> Broom, A. 2005, 'Virtually He at lthy: The impact of internet use on disease
> experience and the doctor-patient relationship', Qualitative Health
> Research, vol. 15, no. 3, p. 325.
>
> Broom, A. 2005, 'The eMale: Prostate cancer, masculinity and online support
> as a challenge to medical expertise', Journal of Sociology, vol. 41, no. 1,
> p. 87.
>
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 12:56 AM, Oded Nov<onov at poly.edu>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Check out the following papers on gender and Wikipedia participation
>> to be presented at Wikisym 2011 (http://www.wikisym.org/ws2011/):
>>
>> WP:Clubhouse? An Exploration of Wikipedia's Gender Imbalance
>> ~ S.K. Lam, A. Uduwage, Z. Dong, S. Sen, D.R. Musicant, L. Terveen and J.
>> Riedl
>>
>> Gender Differences in Wikipedia Editing
>> ~ J. Antin, R. Yee, C. Cheshire and O. Nov
>>

>> Oded
>>
>> Oded Nov, PhD
>> Assistant Professor
>> Department of Technology Management
>> Polytechnic Institute of New York University
>> onov at poly.edu
>> http://www.poly.edu/user/onov
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Gavin Deady<gavin.deady at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> I wonder if I could pose a question? Would anyone know of any literature
>> (or
>>> particular authors) around men and the use of the internet. I would be
>>> particularly interested in any literature on men and the use of the
>> internet
>>> for medical purposes.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Gavin Deady
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gavin Deady.
>>> ISSP/ Government of Ireland Doctoral Fellow,
>>> NIRSA/ Dept. of Sociology,
>>> Social Sciences Building,
>>> North Campus,
>>> National University of Ireland,Maynooth,
>>> Maynooth,
>>> Co. Kildare
>>> Republic of Ireland.
>>>
>>> gavin.deady at gmail.com