[Air-L] tenure line digital and social media hire (apps due 10 October)

qCentral qcentral at indiana.edu
Tue Sep 6 14:49:03 PDT 2011

hey all,
please forward (and forgive me in advance for the cross-postings/repeats). please email me offlist if you have any specific questions about the position or my dept?

best,
mg
--------------------
The Department of Communication and Culture at Indiana University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Digital and Social Media to begin Fall 2012.

We seek a humanities-based media studies scholar to join an innovative and interdisciplinary department that includes Film and Media Studies, Ethnography and Performance Studies, and Rhetoric and Public Culture. We invite candidates with a broad range of concentrations that consider instantiations and circulations of digital and social media, especially from the sites of television, video games, the Internet, and/or mobile social media. We are particularly interested in those who adopt a theoretical/critical, ethnographic, and/or historical approach to the implications of digital technologies in relation to one or more of the following areas: television, transmediation and convergence; national and global media production; and audience practices. Our new colleague will be responsible for developing an introductory lecture course about digital and social media and advanced undergraduate courses in digitaltelevisual studies, as well as for actively shaping and teaching graduate offerings in this field of study.

Candidates are expected to have a strong research agenda and a commitment to excellence in teaching. Preference will be given to those who have their Ph.D. in hand by the date the appointment begins and who can demonstrate a research program devoted to digital and social media, as well as teaching experience in this area.

Applicants should send hard copies of the following: a letter of application, curriculum vitae, writing sample, and three letters of recommendation to: Robert Terrill, Chair, Digital/Social Media Search, Department of Communication and Culture, 800 E. 3rd Street, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47405. Review of applications will begin October 10, 2011 and continue until this position is filled. For more information about IU's Department of Communication and Culture, go to:
www.indiana.edu/~cmcl

Indiana University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. The university actively encourages applications and nominations of women, minorities, applicants with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented groups.

_______________________
On sabbatical until January 9, 2012

Mary L. Gray, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Communication and Culture
Affiliate Faculty, Gender Studies
Adjunct Faculty, American Studies
Adjunct Faculty, Anthropology
Indiana University
800 E. 3rd Street
Bloomington, IN 47405

Email: mLg at indiana.edu
Phone: 812-855-4379
Fax:  812-855-6014

BLOG for "Out in the Country, Youth, Media, and Queer Visibility in Rural America" (NYU Press 2009)
@ http://queercountry.fromthesquare.org/