[Air-L] Computers and Popular Culture

Paul Booth pbooth81 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 05:30:38 PDT 2011

Hi,
Last week I asked for suggestions for references that dealt with the
relationship between computers and popular culture. I thought I'd
share the list that was generated. My sincerest thanks for those that
helped by offering citations!

Aldred, Jessica, and Brian Greenspan. 2011. “A Man Chooses, A Slave
Obeys: BioShock and the Dystopian Logic of Convergence.” Games and
Culture (March 27). doi:10.1177/1555412011402674.

Barbrook, Richard. Imaginary Futures: From Thinking Machines to the
Global Village. London: Pluto Press, 2007.

Berdayes, Linda Cooper. “The Information Highway in Contemporary
Magazine Narrative.” Journal of Communication 48, no. 2 (1998):
109-24.

Burns, Kelli S. “Celeb 2.0: How Social Media Foster Our Fascination
with Popular Culture.” ABC-CLIO. (30 September 2008).

Eng, Lawrence. Otaku Engagements: Subcultural Appropriation of Science
and Technology. Ph.D. Diss. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2007.
Accessed 12 Sept 2011 from
http://proquest.umi.com/pqdlink?did=1221726101&Fmt=7&clientId=79356&RQT=309&VName=PQD&cfc=1

Flichy, Patrice. The Internet Imaginaire. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 2007.

Gibson, William. “Modern Boys and Mobile Girls.” The Guardian. 01 Apr
2011. Accessed 12 Sept 2011 from
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2001/apr/01/sciencefictionfantasyandhorror.features.

Harrasser, Karin. “Transforming Discourse into Practice:
Computerhystories znd Digital Cultures around 1984,” Cultural Studies
16, no. 6 (2002): 820-32.

Kera, Denisa. “From Data Realism to Dada Aggregations: Visualizations
in Digital Art, Humanities and Popular Culture.” IEEE (July, 2010):
297-300. doi:10.1109/IV.2010.99.

Kevorkian, Martin. Color Monitors: The Black Face of Technology in
America. Ithaca, NY: Cornel University Press, 2006.

Pal, Joyojeet. “Rajnikant’s Laptop: Computers and Development in
Popular Indian Cinema,” Information Technologies & International
Development (2009): 417-426. Doi: 10.1109/ICTD.2009.5426687

Palfrey, John, and Urs Gasser. Born Digital: Understanding the First
Generation of Digital Natives. New York: Basic Books, 2010.
Pärna, Karen. Believing in the Net. Leiden, Netherlands: Leiden
University Press, 2010.

Stryker, Cole. Epic Win for Anonymous: How 4chanÆs Army Conquered the
Web. New York: Penguin, 2011.

Zittrain, Jonathan. The Future of the Internet—and How to Stop It. New
Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2008.

"First we thought the PC was a calculator. Then we found out how to
turn numbers into letters with ASCII ? and we thought it was a
typewriter. Then we discovered graphics, and we thought it was a
television. With the World Wide Web, we've realized it's a brochure."
-- Douglas Adams