[Air-L] DML2012 CFP: "Beyond Educational Technology: Learning Innovations in a Connected World"

Gordon Carlson gordycarlson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 19:46:54 PDT 2011

This is the PERFECT venue for us. I've met Dana Boyd before and she's up our
alley.  We must submit for a short talk I think.

Gordy

Gordon Carlson
Executive Director, Society for Conceptual Logistics in Communication
Research
http://www.sclcr.com
On Sep 9, 2011 9:43 PM, "danah boyd" <aoir.z3z at danah.org> wrote:
> ** Please Circulate Widely **
>
> CALL FOR PROPOSALS - BEYOND EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY: LEARNING INNOVATIONS
IN A CONNECTED WORLD

> Digital Media and Learning Conference
> Website: http://dml2012.dmlcentral.net/
>
> San Francisco, California
> March 1-3, 2012
>
> Conference Chair:
> Diana Rhoten (News Corp.)
>
> Conference Committee:
> Tracy Fullerton (USC)
> Antero Garcia (UCLA)
> Mitch Resnick (MIT)
> Mark Surman (Mozilla Foundation)
>
> Technology will revolutionize education. That was the shout heard around
the world as early as the 1970s when “microcomputers” first appeared on the
scene. In the last forty years, the exponentially increasing powers and
dramatically decreasing costs of computer technologies have surpassed even
the wildest dreams of those early days. Yet, there is still little evidence
of any major technology-enabled disruptions to the structure and culture of
mainstream education. Today, technology has once again become the rallying
call for education innovation. Whether as efforts to establish new
institutions, experiment with mobile devices, develop learning applications,
or incorporate personalized and distance education platforms, information
technologies and digital media are at the center of the education innovation
conversation.

> In 20th Century United States, schools were seen as the primary locus of
education, where teachers are transmitters and students are receivers of
information and knowledge. As a result, education reform movements focused
on promoting school-based practices and processes that would maximize
institutional efficiencies. In that context, the then emerging “education
technology” community (as it has since come to be known) drew from the “best
practice” of their time and focused mainly on the development of
instructional hardware to increase standardized test scores, administrative
technology to facilitate record keeping, or content management systems to
deliver traditional curriculum online.

> More recently, however, cutting-edge research from the social and
behavioral sciences has begun to show that an individual’s learning can be
accelerated by tapping into personal interests that span different social
experiences including but beyond schooling. Evidence also suggests that
individuals may learn more efficaciously and more equitably, without gaps
between rich and poor, when they learn in specialty domains and practice
areas that they choose and for which they are motivated. Compared to older
education paradigms, this 21st Century pedagogical view reframes learning as
the creation and acquisition of knowledge through observing, interacting and
collaborating with others anywhere, anytime. As a result, we are now seeing
new technologies and digital media designed not to deliver a faster, cheaper
schooling but rather to enable richer, deeper learning. As this new “digital
media and learning” movement (as it is becoming known) expands, we are
seeing the emergence of Web-enabled, mobile-based platforms that promote new
models of peer-to-peer learning, anywhere / anytime learning, blended
learning and game-based learning.

> The “education technology” and “digital media and learning” views on
education innovation represent differences in thinking not just about
technologies for but also – more importantly – pedagogies and epistemologies
of learning. While there are fundamental differences between these
perspectives, we do not think these two visions need be or should be in
conflict with one another. In fact, we believe they are complements to one
another, with critical and necessary synergies between their approaches. For
example, there is great evidence to suggest that "basic skills" and “core
competencies” may be best learned in classroom environments but then
augmented and advanced with the type of independent, interactive
learner-centered experiences that new technologies can provide outside of
the classroom. Building a new future for education and learning in a
connected world not only allows but actually requires bridging in-school and
out-of-school learning practices and philosophies through networks of
learning institutions and alliances.

> Inspired by Silicon Valley’s culture of technology-led innovation, the
2012 Digital Media and Learning Conference will explore ongoing questions
and debates around the role of technology and the future of education and
learning.

> What are the primary purposes and practices of education, and how can
technology accelerate or decelerate them?

> When we talk about disruptive technologies, what systems and players are
we really seeking to change and to what end?

> What sectors, institutions and populations are we mobilizing for
innovation and for whom are we mobilizing them?

> How do we design, build and fund infrastructures around new connections
across and configurations of learning?

> How do we cultivate a healthy, symbiotic ecosystem of innovation that
leads to a future of Connected Learning?

> In answering these and other questions, we hope attendees will challenge
their assumptions and share their visions about what education and learning
could or should look like in a connected world. To that end, we invite
provocative sessions that address the intersections and tensions inherent in
different approaches to innovation, and we strongly encourage interactive
discussions that push panelists and participants alike to ask themselves
where they are in the innovation conversation and how they plan to translate
that conversation into action.

> ABOUT THE WORKSHOP, PAPER AND PANEL PROPOSALS
>
> We welcome workshops, panels and papers along five themes: Making,
Tinkering and Remixing; Re-imagining Media for Learning; Democratizing
Learning Innovation; Innovations for Public Education and Digital Media and
Learning.

> Making, Tinkering and Remixing. To become full and active participants in
21st century society, young people must learn to design, create, and invent
with new technologies, not simply interact with them. What are the pathways
for becoming a maker and not just a user in a world of Connected Learning?
What social and technical infrastructures provide the best support for young
people as they learn to tinker with materials, remix one another’s work, and
iteratively refine their creations?

> Re-imagining Media for Learning. What does it mean to think of media and
games in the service of diverse educational goals and within a broad ecology
of learning? In particular, how can we balance the needs of
multi-stakeholder alliances against the challenges of designing engaging,
playful and truly innovative media experiences? Especially those that go
beyond implementations of technologies and platforms to create real
communities of playful learning and rich opportunities for individual
discovery and growth.

> Democratizing Learning Innovation. Looking to the groundswell for
massively collaborative innovation and change, what does it take to pull
from a participatory and networked ecology to push innovation from the
bottom up and from the outside in versus top down and inside out?

> Innovations for Public Education. Too often cutting edge technology
innovations serve the interests of the already privileged “creative class.”
What can we do to ensure that the most innovative forms of learning are
accessible to all educators and young people relying on public education
infrastructures? How can digital innovation directly impact disparities in
achievement of students based on race and class?

> Digital Media and Learning. We also welcome submissions that address
innovative research and practice in the field of digital media and learning.

> Presentation Formats
>
> This year we will be accepting proposals in three formats: panels,
workshops and short talks.

> Panels bring together in discussion four participants or presentations
representing a range of ideas and projects. Panels are scheduled for 90
minutes and should include a mix of individuals working in areas of
research, theory, and practice. We also encourage the use of discussants.

> Workshops provide an opportunity for hands-on exploration and/or problem
solving. They can be organized around a core challenge that participants
come together to work on or around a tool, platform, or concept. Workshops
are scheduled for 90 minutes and should be highly participatory.

> Finally, we welcome short, ten minute talks where presenters speak for ten
minutes on their work, research or a subject relevant to the conference
theme and/or subthemes.

> Note: Proposals for ignite sessions will be announced in January 2012.
>
> Submitting Your Proposal
>
> The DML2012 Conference proposal system is now open and full proposals will
be due on October 19, 2011 (11:59 pm PST). To propose a panel, participants
will be required to register with Fastapps http://fastapps.dmlcentral.org,
our submission system at the Digital Media and Learning Research Hub.
Participants will be able to edit their proposals up until the final
deadline.

> Panel and Workshop proposal abstracts should cover the theme, format (e.g.
discussion, interactive, presentations), how the session addresses the theme
of the conference and/or subtheme in up to 500 words. Short talk abstracts
should cover the theme, format (e.g. discussion, interactive,
presentations), how the talk addresses the theme of the conference and/or
subtheme in up to 250 words. List of participants, affiliations, emails and
titles of talks/presentations (if applicable) should also be included. We
will not be soliciting full papers or publishing conference proceedings.

> Please note that each participant will be limited to participation on no
more than two panels at the conference. Participants will be expected to
fund their own travel and accommodation.

> About the Conference
>
> The Digital Media and Learning Conference is an annual event supported by
the MacArthur Foundation and organized by the Digital Media and Learning
Research Hub located at the UC Humanities Research Institute, University of
California, Irvine. The conference is meant to be an inclusive,
international and annual gathering of scholars and practitioners in the
field, focused on fostering interdisciplinary and participatory dialog and
linking theory, empirical study, policy, and practice. The third annual
conference – DML2012 – is organized around the theme “Beyond Educational
Technology: Learning Innovations in a Connected World” and will be held
between March 1-3, 2012 in San Francisco, California.