[Air-L] Google Search Algorithms

Hal Roberts hroberts at cyber.law.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 17 08:17:08 PDT 2012

Hi Andrew,

There are also some really interesting blog posts by Google on the
process they use to refine their search algorithms:

Huffman, Scott. “Search Evaluation at Google.” Official Google Blog,
September 15, 2008.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/search-evaluation-at-google.html.

Singhal, Amit. “Official Google Blog: Introduction to Google Ranking.”
Official Google Blog, July 9, 2008.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/introduction-to-google-ranking.html.

Singhal, Amit. “Official Google Blog: Technologies Behind Google
Ranking.” Official Google Blog, July 16, 2008.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/technologies-behind-google-ranking.html.

Google, Inc. “Quality Scores and Ad Auctions.” Official Google Blog,
2008.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/quality-scores-and-ad-auctions.html.

The most interesting take away from the above posts is that the most
important input into Google's ranking algorithms are the reactions of
its own users.

This is not directly about search algorithms, but below is a court
ordered expert report on how Google's click fraud detection worked in
2006.  Dr. Tuzhilin was given complete access to the people and code in
the click fraud department and then wrote a report based on his access
but not including confidential details of their processes and
algorithms.  He basically found (contra the plaintiffs suing Google)
that Google was honestly trying to detect and prevent click fraud.  It
may be about as close as we get to an insider view to what's actually
going on inside Google's core search and advertising algorithms.

Tuzhilin, Alexander. The Lane’s Gifts Vs. Google Report. Court ordered,
July 21, 2006. http://googleblog.blogspot.com/pdf/Tuzhilin_Report.pdf.

-hal

--
Hal Roberts