[Air-L] online conferences in Second Life

James Howison jhowison at ischool.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 19 08:01:48 PDT 2012

When we were studying a face to face meeting of otherwise completely virtual teams, Apachecon (Crowston et al, 2007) and the participants thought it was funny that we had hypothesized that they would do different things face to face (high uncertainty, leadership elections etc).  And in fact, as near as we could tell, they really didn't do things much differently (to the extent of sitting around a conference table on IRC).

Rather they focused on the conference as a really great way to have most of their group carve out three days to devote to the project.

So I've always felt that the sheer physicality of going somewhere biases participants towards focus (ok, so laptops and wireless biases the other way!) and commitment to the event and that would be missing in these type of conferences.  Crucially this bias is inter-subjective (I know that you know that I know you'll be around).

But what are people's experiences with that in long-running online conferences?

Cheers,
James

Crowston, K., Howison, J., Eseryel, U. Y., & Masango, C. (2007). The role of face-to-face meetings in technology-supported self-organizing distributed teams. IEEE Transactions on Professional Communications, 50(3).