[Air-L] Creative Media Activism - A Free, Open Class

Gary Hall gary.hall at connectfree.co.uk
Thu Apr 5 04:35:59 PDT 2012

Creative Media Activism - A Free, Open Class #creativact

Between January and March 2012 we (i.e. the Media Department at Coventry
School of Art and Design:
http://wwwm.coventry.ac.uk/csad/mediaandcommunication/Pages/Media_home.aspx)
launched a Free and Open Undergraduate class focused on Creative
Activism. We also made the class freely available online on an open
basis to enable anyone worldwide to participate in the class, join in
the discussions or even rip and remix our content.

The class explored the potential of creative media activism by
encouraging the participants to experiment with creating ‘live’
interventions as well as become involved in a number of crucial
cultural, political and social debates. Over the ten week course we
looked at how media activists, creatives and campaigners have used their
media knowledge, connections and skills to ask difficult questions,
provoke debate and raise awareness of important issues and problems in
their local, national and international communities.

We have now put most of the materials from the class on our website:
http://www.creativeactivism.net
You can also download the content and participate in the ongoing class
discussion through iTunes U and the Peer 2 Peer University (P2PU).
Please feel free to share.

If you would like to find out more about the class, and our plans for
developing the project, please contact Pete Woodbridge

To date, the class has been supported by a range of collaborators and
guest speakers, whom we would like to thank. They include:

Emily James: Director of ‘Just Do It’- A Feature Documentary about
Climate Change Activism

John Jackson, Activist and Co-author of ‘Small Acts of Resistance: How
Courage, Tenacity and Ingenuity Can Change the World

Joey Skaggs, A Prolific New York Based Artist, Culture Jammer and
Prankster who uses the Media as his Canvas

James Cook, A Stand-up Comedian who explores what we can learn from
Comedy and Satire as a means of Political and Cultural Activism

Sam Gregory, Programme Director and Human Rights Advocate at WITNESS,
whose work addresses the importance of video and change

Tessa Houghton, Assistant Professor in Media and Communications,
University of Nottingham Malaysia who analyses Hacktivism and the Public
Domain

Matt Mason, Author of bestseller ‘The Pirate’s Dilemma’ and Executive
Director of Marketing at Bittorent

Chris Jury, Activist, Broadcaster and Lecturer at Bath Spa University
who presents a radio show called ‘Agitpop’- exploring the role of music
and protest

Charles Tsai, Campaigner at the Creative Visions Foundation and Social
Creatives- Organisations that encourage creative thinking to affect
positive change

Ken Fero, Award Winning Radical Documentary Filmmaker – Whose work
explores Power, Inequality and Injustice.

--
Gary Hall
Research Professor of Media and Performing Arts

Latest:
'There Are No Digital Humanities', in Debates in the Digital Humanities, edited by Matthew K. Gold