[Air-L] Air-L Digest, Vol 93, Issue 13

Anne Helmond anne at digitalmethods.net
Tue Apr 17 00:41:20 PDT 2012

> I have some students who are looking for background reading on how the
> Google search algorithms work.  Any suggestions here would be most
> welcome.

I would recommend:

Feuz, Martin, Fuller, Matthew, AND Stalder, Felix. "Personal Web
searching in the age of semantic capitalism: Diagnosing the mechanisms
of personalisation" First Monday [Online], Volume 16 Number 2 (1
February 2011)
http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/3344/2766

and

“Google’s PageRank Algorithm: A Diagram of Cognitive Capitalism and
the Rentier of the Common Intellect”, in Konrad Becker, Felix Stalder
(eds), Deep Search, London: Transaction Publishers: 2009. +PDF
http://matteopasquinelli.com/docs/Pasquinelli_PageRank.pdf

and

Hard-Coding Bias in Google "Algorithmic" Search Results
http://www.benedelman.org/hardcoding/

Best,
Anne