[Air-L] Mobile Media Reader, out now

Noah Arceneaux arcenea at mail.sdsu.edu
Tue Apr 24 11:12:13 PDT 2012

I wanted to let everyone know that our book on mobile media is now out, The
Mobile Media Reader , ed.  by Noah Arceneaux and Anandam Kavoori (Peter
Lang, 2012)

http://www.peterlang.com/index.cfm?event=cmp.ccc.seitenstruktur.detailseiten&seitentyp=produkt&pk=58429&concordeid=311300

I'm pasting the official blurb from the back of the book below, along with
the table of contents.

Portable phones were once limited to voice and text messaging, though these
devices are now miniature multi-media centers that can fit neatly in one’s
pocket. Media industries off all types are adapting content for this new
platform, or innovating entirely new forms. In the light of the explosive
growth of this technology, *The Mobile Media *offers a diverse collection
of essays that establish conceptual, critical frameworks for evaluating the
latest transformation of the media landscape. Some essays explore older
phenomenon, such as C.B. radio, automobile radio, and hand-held video
games, to provide a historical context, while others unpack the
behind-the-scenes negotiations that determine what kinds of services are
available to consumers. *The Mobile Media Reader* provides a road map for
both scholars and beginning students to examine the social, cultural, and
commercial implications of media that is available anywhere at any time.

Table of Contents

Foundations (part one)

1) Historicizing Mobile Media: Locating the Transformations

of Embodied Space, by Jason Farman

2) Calling Ahead: Cinematic Imaginations of Mobile Media’s

Critical Affordances, by Scott W. Ruston

3) Analog Analogue: U.S. Automotive Radio as Mobile Medium

by Matthew A. Killmeier

4) CB Radio: Mobile Social Networking in the 1970s

Noah Arceneaux

5) A Brief History of U.S. Mobile Spectrum

Thomas W. Hazlett

Forms/Functions (part two)

6) Not TV, Not the Web: Mobile Video Between Openness and Control

Aymar Jean Christian

7) Reading After the Phone: E-readers and Mobile Media

Gerard Goggin and Caroline Hamilton

8) As It Happens: Mobile Communications Technology, Journalists

and Breaking News

Collette Snowden

9) Time and Space in Play: Saving and Pausing with the Nintendo DS

Samuel Tobin

10) You Can Ring My Bell and Tap My Phone: Mobile Music, the Ringtone

Economy, and the Rise of Apps

Ben Aslinger

11) Appropriation of Cell Phones by Kurds: The Social Practice of Struggle

for Political Identities in Turkey

Burçe Çelik

12) Through the Looking Cell Phone Screen: Dreams of Omniscience

in an Age of Mobile Augmented Reality

Imar de Vries

--
Noah Arceneaux