[Air-L] Doctoral Positions at the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society, Berlin

Christian Katzenbach christian.katzenbach at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 00:35:05 PDT 2012

Hi all,

at our newly funded research institute in Berlin we recently announced doctoral positions for early-stage researchers in the field of Internet  and society. International applications as well as applicants already well under way with their doctoral thesis are especially welcome.

See the full announcement below and on our website: http://hiig.de/en/research/doctoral-programme-internet-and-society/

Best,
Christian Katzenbach

##

Doctoral Positions in the field of Internet and Society

The Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society (HIIG) has openings for doctoral candidates from all disciplines interested in the visionary planning of particular developments of the Internet and the interplay with societal and economic dynamics. Starting date is September 1, 2012.

In the context of a doctoral position (65% TVL 13, plus children, literature and travel allowances) we promote innovative and transdisciplinary-orientated research projects focusing on the following aspects:

	• Regulation and order from a social scientific perspective, particularly within the fields of copyright and big data
	• Open science – science in transformation
	• Personality right and data protection in the Internet and the role of the Internet within the process of the global constitutionalism
	• The current structural change of the public sphere and its legal consequences

The doctoral candidates will be part of a research groups at the Institute for Internet and Society. Besides specified mentoring agreements, regular presentations and mentoring appointments will be scheduled in order to facilitate sufficient scope for the development of independent research projects. Additionally the Institute for Internet and Society supports the philosophy of open science and promotes networking within the international research community.

The required documents include the completed online application form including

	• Letter of motivation (max. 2 pages)
	• Exposé of the dissertation project/ if applicable a short description of the current work progress (max. 3 pages)
	• Curriculum vitae/ relevant certificates and letters of recommendation
	• Commitment to one of the research directors as a mentor

International applications as well as applicants already engaged in their doctoral thesis are especially welcome. Further information on the announcement can be found under www.hiig.de.

Please submit your complete application by May 31, 2012 using the online application form on our website. The interviews will be held on July 5th and 6th 2012. We kindly ask all applicants to save these dates.

The Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society is incorporated into the Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, the University of Arts Berlin as well as into the Social Science Research Center Berlin in alliance with the Hans-Bredow Institute Hamburg as an integrated co-operation partner. The overall goal of the institute is to understand the dynamic interdependence between society and the Internet and thus, offering the opportunity to shape the digital, networked future open to everyone.

--
Christian Katzenbach

Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society
Humboldt Universität zu Berlin | Unter den Linden 6 | 10117 Berlin | Germany

katzenbach at hiig.de