[Air-L] Object Oriented Ontology Sources Re: Question: Likeconomy and the [digital] verbing of nouns

Guiseppe Getto guiseppe.getto at cortland.edu
Sun Apr 22 11:12:46 PDT 2012

All,

I got enough interest in the object-oriented ontology conversation that I
mentioned in response to Ravindra's question, that I think I will burden
the list with it.

Here's a lit review from a colleague of mine who specializes in this
conversation. I would also add anything by Manuel DeLanda might be of
particular interest to members of this listserv, as he comes out of a
computer programming/visualization background. An Amazon search of his name
comes up with all his main works. I would highly recommend his "New
Philosophy of Society: Assemblage Theory and Social Complexity" for a
readable, impactful treatise on this move from a purely linguistic view of
digital and/or social systems to a neo-realist view that takes into account
the materiality of these systems.

Current OOO Stuff:
Ian Bogost, Alien Phenomenology (U of Minnesota Press, 2012)
Levi Bryant, Graham Harman and Nick Srnicek, eds., The Speculative Turn
(2011; available as a free pdf download from re.press).
Levi Bryant, The Democracy of Objects (Open Humanities Press, 2011; free
download).
Graham Harman, Towards Speculative Realism (Zero Books, 2011).
Graham Harman, The Quadruple Object (Zero Books, 2011).
Tim Morton, Realist Magic: Objects, Ontology, Causality (Open Humanities
Press, forthcoming;)
Tim Morton, “Sublime Objects.” (Free for download at Speculations.)
Tim Morton, “Here Comes Everything.”
Tim Morton, “Objects as Temporary Autonomous Zones,” Continent. (Free
download at the journal's website.)

Background plus Recent Stuff:

A.) Graham Harman, “Object-Oriented Philosophy,” in Towards Speculative
Realism.

Immanuel Kant, Critique of Pure Reason.

Quentin Meillassoux, After Finitude.
B.) Phenomenology: return of the thing (or not).
        Edmund Husserl, Logical Investigations.
        Jose Ortega y Gasset.
C.) Heidegger: tool-being and the history of metaphysics.
        Martin Heidegger, Being and Time.
        _____, What Is a Thing?
D.) Withdrawal: the essence of OOO.
        Graham Harman, Tool-Being.
        _____, The Quadruple Object.

--

"We as a nation must undergo a radical revolution of values. We must
undergo the shift from a thing-oriented society to a person-oriented

-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. speaking in 1969 at the Riverside Church in
New York City http://bit.ly/jesEVV

Guiseppe Getto

Assistant Professor of New Media, Rhetoric, and Professional Writing

English Department

114C Old Main

SUNY-Cortland

Cortland, NY 13045-0900

607-753-2080 (office)

517-574-8965 (cell)

www.guiseppegetto.com

Some small ways in which I try to enact Dr. King's message:
Kiva microlending <http://kiva.org/invitedby/guiseppe3344> to merchants in
the developing world
The hunger site <http://www.thehungersite.com/>
Care2's daily donation site <http://www.care2.com/click-to-donate/>