[Air-L] The effectiveness of online reactions to online bullying behavior?

Van Cleemput Katrien katrien.vancleemput at ua.ac.be
Fri Apr 27 01:11:39 PDT 2012

Dear all,

I am currently involved in a multi-disciplinary project that aims to develop an evidence-based online game to combat cyberbullying (more information www.friendlyattac.be<http://www.friendlyattac.be>). Currently, we are looking for more information on the effectiveness of online reactions against cyberbullying. Often victims and bystanders are advised to act in certain ways to the bullying: block the bully, stand up for yourself (and react). We are not sure to what extent these tips are useful, especially in a SNS context (e.g. is it a good advice to tell victims to react to the bullying online as these online ‘discussions’ often tend to escalate?, or to what extent is blocking the bully a good solution for the victim?). Does anyone know of researchers that have focused on the effectiveness of this type of provided advice? Or does anyone have suggestions with regard to theory or research in related area’s (I think for instance about flaming on BB) that could help us with these questions?

Thank you
Katrien Van Cleemput

University of Antwerp
Department of Communication Studies