[Air-L] Book: The Videogame Ethics Reader

Casey O'Donnell codonnell at alum.rpi.edu
Thu Apr 5 08:24:07 PDT 2012

There is a edited collection out (full disclosure: yes, I'm a
contributor) that may be of use/interest to AoIR'ers:

The Videogame Ethics Reader (Revised First Edition)
Edited by Jose P. Zagal

"Essential reading for anyone interested in the moral dimensions of
contemporary play."
—Chris Bateman, game designer, philosopher, and author of "Game
Writing: Narrative Skills for Videogames" and "Imaginary Games"

"...a thoughtful book for anyone interested in the importance and
impact of games in our lives."
—Drew Davidson, Director, Entertainment Technology Center - Pittsburgh
Carnegie Mellon University

Videogames are the dominant art form of the 21st century. How we go
about designing and creating them, what we choose to say and express
with them, and how we engage with and play them, reflects and informs
our behavior and broader understanding of morality and ethics.

In this book, Zagal has collected a series of essays that offer an
amazing array of perspectives and views. Game designers, sociologists,
legal scholars, media theorists, game researchers, philosophers, and
more, all offer their views and insights on varied and diverse sets of
issues. Topics include potential effects of violent content in
videogames, cheating and anti-social behavior, business practices in
the games industry, social and cultural diversity and representation
in games, moral values in games and gameplay, freedom of expression,
and how games are uniquely positioned as an art form to encourage
players to reflect on ethics and morality.

The Videogame Ethics Reader is a unique collection of writings on
videogames and ethics by leading scholars and practitioners. It
includes game analyses, case studies, and thought-provoking essays
that serve as a valuable companion to traditional ethics textbooks.
This book provides an entry point for thinking, deliberating, and
discussing ethical topics surrounding videogames and their
accompanying technologies. It also serves as a springboard for
examining how this relatively new medium can provide us with insights
on many of the moral and ethical questions that have been with us for
centuries.

https://titles.cognella.com/professions-and-careers/the-videogame-ethics-reader-9781609276355.html

--
Casey O'Donnell, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Telecommunications

http://www.caseyodonnell.org