[Air-L] CFP reminder - Media, Technology & Society Conference 2012 - Infosocial. Deadline April. 15.

Ryan Whalen ryan at ryanwhalen.com
Fri Apr 13 09:11:22 PDT 2012

My apologies for cross posting.  I'm writing to remind list members (and
their colleagues and students) of the upcoming Media, Technology and
Society program's graduate student conference titled "Infosocial: Where
information and the social sciences collide."  The extended abstract
submission deadline is April 15th (this Sunday).  Call details follow in
the text below.  Please feel free to distribute widely and pass the word
along to graduate students and programs.

*Call for Papers*
*InfoSocial: Where information and the social sciences collide.*
A graduate student conference hosted by the Media, Technology, and Society
(MTS) program at
Northwestern University

As the information infrastructure of contemporary social life becomes
increasingly complex and visible,
disparate modes of inquiry converge. We are surrounded by a proliferation
of data that provides a unique
window into a wide array of individual and collective behavior. The changes
in the visibility and
availability of such data have challenged the technical and conceptual
boundaries of the social sciences.
This, in turn, has triggered a growth in interdisciplinary collaboration,
and in methodological and
theoretical innovation. Our conference aims to contribute to these
collaborative and innovative
developments by bringing together graduate student scholarship from across
the academic spectrum.

We seek papers authored by graduate students that address relevant topics
within and across disciplines,
including contributions from communication and media studies, sociology,
psychology, computer science,
science and technology studies, information science, political science, and
anthropology, among others.

Possible submission topics include (but are not limited to):
• Linked data/semantic web and society
• Privacy and information management
• Measuring online behavior
 • Collective action and crowd sourcing
• Internet skill and literacy
• Open source and innovation
• Complexity and technological change
• History and information
• Information at work
• Educational technology
• Networks and the information society
• Methodological developments

*Important Information:*
Extended abstract submission deadline: April 15, 2012
Acceptance notification date: May 15, 2012
Conference Dates: October 12-13, 2012
Location: Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois

Conference URL: http://bit.ly/InfoSocialCFP
Email: mtsconference at u.northwestern.edu

To submit, please visit http://bit.ly/NUMTSconference and upload an
extended abstract of no more than
500 words.

Note: There will be no fee to attend and/or participate in the conference.
Meals will be provided and
interested attendees may request to be housed with Northwestern students.
While we can make no
guarantees, we will do our best to accommodate requests.

Best Regards,
--
Ryan Whalen
PhD Student - Media, Technology & Society