[Air-L] conference paper

Jesper ses at post10.tele.dk
Mon Apr 16 05:50:18 PDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

Here is a link to Michael Paulsen and my paper: "The challenge of social
media – between prohibition and indifference in the classroom"
http://pure.au.dk/portal/files/45108803/MEA_2012_Taekke.pdf

It is a contribution to the Thirteenth Annual Convention of the Media
Ecology Association: The Crossroads of the Word. 7 - 10 June 2012
Manhattan College Riverdale, New York.

Abstract:
Like with the emergence of oral language and the invention of writing,
printing, and electronic media, today digital media entail a revolution of
society. In our present time we are living through the incunabula of a
digital
revolution. This means that many things in society find new forms, and we
must find new ways of doing things, because our media milieu has changed.
Also in schools many things are changing; the classroom is no longer a
closed
room where interaction is isolated from the external world. Thousands of
parallel interaction systems are intermingling within the social
situations in
classrooms, and many problems arise because of missing adequate norms.
Students can now access knowledge in the Internet’s thousands of databases
and wikis. The upshot is that the old teacher authority and traditional
social
norms for guiding teaching can no longer help outline efficient behavior in
the classrooms. On this basis, we present the action research project Socio
Media Education, which tries to develop new ways of teaching that feed to
the new media environment. The aim of the paper is, on an early stage, to
report about the challenge of the new social media and how the project
tries
to find solutions and the philosophy behind these solutions.

Best Regards
Jesper

--
---