[Air-L] Question: Likeconomy and the [digital] verbing of nouns

Guiseppe Getto guiseppe.getto at cortland.edu
Fri Apr 20 06:47:40 PDT 2012

Ravindra,

Coming from the humanities side of things (technical communication/digital
humanities/gaming theory), there's a lot of work right now shaping up
around an area of philosophy called Object Oriented Ontology, which asks
whether like-buttons, algorithms, bots, etc. aren't actually actors within
digital systems in the same way that humans are.

A lot of folks, stemming from the work of Bruno Latour, have started to use
the phrase 'non-human actors' to describe the ways components of digital
systems actually write/communicate for us, or at least enable
writing/communication in digital spaces.

As is typical with the humanities, we are theoretically ahead of where we
are research-wise with this, though: a lot of people in the humanities are
thinking about this phenomena right now, but there are few (if any)
empirical investigations of it that I could send you to...

If you're interested, though: I have lots of sources in this area...

--

"We as a nation must undergo a radical revolution of values. We must
undergo the shift from a thing-oriented society to a person-oriented

-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. speaking in 1969 at the Riverside Church in
New York City http://bit.ly/jesEVV

Guiseppe Getto

Assistant Professor of New Media, Rhetoric, and Professional Writing

English Department

114C Old Main

SUNY-Cortland

Cortland, NY 13045-0900

607-753-2080 (office)

517-574-8965 (cell)

www.guiseppegetto.com

Some small ways in which I try to enact Dr. King's message:
Kiva microlending <http://kiva.org/invitedby/guiseppe3344> to merchants in
the developing world
The hunger site <http://www.thehungersite.com/>
Care2's daily donation site <http://www.care2.com/click-to-donate/>