[Air-L] grading schemes that emulate gaming achievements, quests, etc.

Elizabeth Bonsignore elizabeth.bonsignore at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 16:53:15 PDT 2012

Rob,

Here are some resources/links to resources that I've found helpful, from
educators who have implemented "gaming grading strategies."

   - Perhaps the most well-known is the work of Lee Sheldon (game designer
   & professor), who implemented a "gamified" grading strategy in 2009-2010. A
   more current version (I think) of his syllabus can be found
here<http://gamingtheclassroom.wordpress.com/syllabus/>
   .

(or <http://gamingtheclassroom.wordpress.com/syllabus/> if you don't have
embedded links).

   - There's also Lee Sheldon's book, The Multiplayer Classroom: Designing
   Coursework as a
Game<http://www.amazon.com/The-Multiplayer-Classroom-Designing-Coursework/dp/1435458443>(I
think it's very interesting/practical) <
   http://www.amazon.com/The-Multiplayer-Classroom-Designing-Coursework/dp/1435458443

   - An 2010 blog post with some bullet-point-based advice on how to
   implement Lee's model:
   http://terranova.blogs.com/terra_nova/2010/03/build-your-own-sheldon-syllabus.html
   - A more interesting recent post, just after GLS 8.0 (2012), covering
   some of the debate:
   http://gamifymyclass.blogspot.com/2012/06/gamification-debate-in-schools.html
   - Here's a citation for a really nice article by Joey Lee/Jessica Hammer
   (Teachers College, Columbia U, NY) about "gamification": Lee, J. J., &
   Hammer, J. (2011). *Gamification in Education: What, How, Why
Bother?* *Academic
   Exchange Quarterly*, 15(2), 146–151.

Beyond Lee Sheldon....

   - Dan Hickey, Indiana University, has also done research on
   assessment/peer assessment, and he has written some thoughtful posts
   recently about "Badges" as an assessment tool: -
      -
      http://remediatingassessment.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/responding-to-michael-coles-question.html
      - http://remediatingassessment.blogspot.com/

*Caveat:* From an academic/research/awareness perspective, I have found the
resources above quite helpful. HOWever, I personally have only implemented
one component of the multiple strategies for "gaming a classroom" - as a
member of a research team that designed a little "badge-based" assessment
into an Alternate Reality Game with middle schoolers last year. We found it
worked fairly well in terms of student-engagement and pride in
accomplishment, but the game was relatively short (consequently, not sure
how it would have done in long-term), and we did not have a "control group"
to compare against, as it was mostly exploratory.

I'm very interested to what others who have done more
experimentation/implementation have to say!

Hope this is helpful,
-Elizabeth
ebonsign at umd.edu
elizabeth.bonsignore at gmail.com
@ebonsign (twitter)
Graduate Research Assistant
PhD student
Human-Computer Interaction Lab
College of Information Studies (Maryland's iSchool)
University of Maryland, College Park