[Air-L] Public Sphere Article?

Tyler Bickford tb2139 at columbia.edu
Tue Aug 14 08:59:41 PDT 2012

I've taught Michael Warner to good effect. While his essay "Publics and Counterpublics" is probably too difficult, I'd recommend the first chapter of that book, "Public and Private," which is really excellent and much more accessible. Conceptualizing "privacy" and adding the gender and sexuality lens as a hook really helps students grasp pretty abstract concepts.

Or you might consider an "original" text -- say Kant's "What Is Enlightenment?", which is helpfully short and pretty specific about what counts as "public" and what "private" and the implications that follow. Something like that could create an opportunity for collaborative close reading early in the semester, and might also usefully set up a later reading of Habermas and others.

Best,
Tyler

________
Tyler Bickford, PhD