[Air-L] Public Sphere article?

Tessa Houghton tessajadehoughton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 22:47:49 PDT 2012

Dear Adam,

While I'm in agreement with some of the other comments in that students
shouldn't be coddled, I do know that there are plenty of mature academics
who shrink at the mention of delving into Habermas! And Fraser is best with
a Habermasian context to respond to.

I've found the following really useful as a primer for introducing students
to the concept in the context of digital communication/media. No one
article is comprehensive, of course, and I also agree that Papacharissi
(2002) (as well as Downey & Fenton (2003) 'New media, counter publicity and
the public sphere')) are useful texts, particularly given the importance of
the concept of counterpublicity.

Dahlgren, P. (2001). ‘The Public Sphere and the Net: Structure, Space, and
Communication’ in Bennett, W.L. & Entmann, R. (eds.) (2001), *Mediated
Politics: Communication in the Future of Democracy*, pp. 33-55. Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press.

Cheers,
Tessa

Dr Tessa J. Houghton<http://www.nottingham.edu.my/Modern-Languages/People/tessa.houghton>

Assistant Professor in Media and Communication
School of Modern Languages and Cultures
The University of Nottingham Malaysia
Campus<http://www.nottingham.edu.my/index.aspx>
Malaysia