[Air-L] "information behavior" and "swarm behavior"

Ronald E. Rice rrice at comm.ucsb.edu
Mon Aug 20 18:03:44 PDT 2012

A fuzzy and intriguing area.  Here are several books that might be
relevant, though the first three from an avowedly organizational
perspective.

Boisot, M. H. (1995).  Information space: A framework for learning in
organizations, institutions and culture.   London: Routledge.

Davenport, T. H. (1997).  Information ecology: Mastering the
information and knowledge environment.  Oxford, UK: Oxford University
Press.

Rice, R. E. & Cooper, S.D. (2010). Organizations and unusual routines:
A systems analysis of dysfunctional feedback processes. London:
Cambridge University Press.
http://www.comm.ucsb.edu/faculty/rrice/B12.htm
Everyone working in and with organizations will, from time to time,
experience frustrations and problems when trying to accomplish tasks
that are a required part of their role. This is an unusual routine - a
recurrent interaction pattern in which someone encounters a problem
when trying to accomplish normal activities by following standard
organizational procedures and then becomes enmeshed in wasteful and
even harmful subroutines while trying to resolve the initial problem.
They are unusual because they are not intended or beneficial, and
because they are generally pervasive but individually infrequent. They
are routines because they become systematic as well as embedded in
ordinary functions. Using a wide range of case studies and
interdisciplinary research, this book provides researchers and
practitioners with a new vocabulary for identifying, understanding,
and dealing with this pervasive organizational phenomenon, in order to
improve worker and customer satisfaction as well as organizational
performance. Introduces and explains the concept of unusual routines,
a very common but not well described or analyzed phenomenon. Broad
interdisciplinary approach with extensive references and related
examples from a wide range of disciplines. Provides detailed examples
of the concept and experience of unusual routines through a number of
case studies, including customer service episodes and six ICT
implementations.

And two of my own:

Rice, R.E., McCreadie, M. & Chang, S-J. (2001). Accessing and browsing
information and communication: An interdisciplinary approach.
Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.
http://www.comm.ucsb.edu/faculty/rrice/B8.htm
The basic argument of this book is two-fold.  First, accessing and
browsing resources are fundamental human activities, considered in a
variety of ways and under a variety of terminologies across a variety
of research areas.  Second, they are insufficiently understood or
identified in any particular research area or service situation, so
that unidentified aspects, or uninspected biases, prevent people from
providing, and obtaining, the desired or necessary resources.  This
book reviews literature from a wide range of researchareas on these
two fundamental human activities -- accessing and browsing resources.
Further, it considers two fundamental human resources -- information
and communication.  These reviews are used to identify common and
unique perspectives of each of the research literatures.   These
perspectives are integrated to develop preliminary frameworks that are
both more general and more comprehensive than any particular research
area's treatment of the concepts.  Then, using multiple sources of
evidence, these preliminary frameworks are evaluated, refined, and
validated.
--
Ronald E. Rice
Arthur N. Rupe Professor in the Social Effects of Mass Communication