[Air-L] Wikipedia article edit history extraction tools?

Marj Kibby Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
Tue Aug 14 16:26:13 PDT 2012

Is is possible to get access to non-public data
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Index

Marj

Associate Professor Marjorie Kibby, B.Ed, M.A, Ph.D, FHERDSA
Director, Student Experience FEDUA
Head of Discipline: Film, Media and Cultural Studies
School of Humanities and Social Science
The University of Newcastle  Callaghan NSW 2308 Australia
Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
+61 2 49216604
>>> Peter Timusk <ptimusk at sympatico.ca> 15/08/12 9:04 AM >>>
Monika

I am not sure how you will get the demography variables you obviously need.
I use a handle to do my edits on Wikipedia. That's all you see in the edit
history.  Of course some like me may have a male first name in this handle
or a female first name. In my legal studies BA we learned that we had to
cite the first names of scholars because this allowed us to see the gender.
Wikipedia do not know my gender. Unlike some paid web site that may have my
credit card data and access to my gender which they could in turn share with
a researcher I don't think Wikipedia have much real data about me they can
share.