[Air-L] undergraduate research methods

Peter Gloviczki glovi002 at umn.edu
Thu Aug 16 15:49:24 PDT 2012

Greetings,

In addition to the citations mentioned, these two might be helpful:

Berger, A. A. (2000). Media and communication research methods an
introduction to qualitative and quantitative approaches. Thousand
Oaks, Calif: SAGE.

Lindlof, T. R., & Taylor, B. C. (2002). Qualitative communication
research methods. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications.

I especially like Lindlof & Taylor, it is clear and thorough.

Best, Peter

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Todd Harper <laevantine at gmail.com> wrote:
> I dunno how new it is, but when someone wants a "how do I pick a method and
> structure this study?" book I always point them at Creswell --
> http://www.amazon.com/Research-Design-Qualitative-Quantitative-Approaches/dp/1412965578--
> because I've had such success with it in the past (and it was one of
> the
> texts I learned on, as you might expect). I assigned bits and pieces of
> this to my game player research undergrads in the spring and it worked
> pretty well.
>
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Unsworth,Kristene <ku26 at drexel.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I've recently agreed to mentor a student through his senior year research
>> thesis. He is in a science, technology and society program but wants to
>> focus on surveillance and security issues...which is where I came in.
>>
>> Do any of you know of a good research methods text that I could direct him
>> to as he starts this process? I know of some of the standards: Patton,
>> Bouma, Lincoln and Denzin, but wanted to reach out in case any of you have
>> had good experiences with newer texts.
>>
>> Thanks a bunch,
>> Kris
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Kristene Unsworth
>> Assistant Professor
>> The iSchool at Drexel
>> College of Information Science and Technology
>> Drexel University
>> 3141 Chestnut Street
>> Philadelphia, PA 19104
>>
>> Office: Rush Building #409
>> Phone: (215)895-6016
>> Fax: (215)895-2494
>> Email: unsworth AT drexel DOT edu

>> http://www.aoir.org/
>>

> --
> Todd Harper
> Postdoctoral Researcher, Singapore-MIT GAMBIT Game Lab --
> http://gambit.mit.edu
> laevantine at gmail.com

Peter Joseph Gloviczki, Ph.D.
http://petergloviczki.com