[Air-L] Inclusion of short links in academic publications?

David Brake davidbrake at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 08:04:01 PDT 2012

My objection to using shortened URLs academically is more fundamental - it adds an additional potential point of failure between the reader and the target address. URL shortening companies can go bust, can be blocked or just go offline temporarily.

I note that ironically the folks behind DOIs have themselves produced a DOI-shortening service http://shortdoi.org/ . But if the DOI folks go bust we are all in trouble...