[Air-L] New Course on "New Media" in Asian University for Women:Seeking your inputs/advice

Faheem Hussain faheem.hussain at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 15:48:41 PDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

As a professor of ICT in Asian University for Women (
http://www.asian-university.org/)- the first regional liberal arts
university for women in South Asia, I am going to teach "*New Media*" in
the coming fall semester (*September,  2012*). For this class, I am
gathering latest literature on New Media case studies, communication
theories, methodologies, and critical analyses.

I will highly appreciate if you can contribute/recommend any of your own
work or some papers/case studies you think needs to be included for this
class. Your advice/help will be recognized in any academic product coming
out of this class.

For your further information, I have copied the summary course description
at the end of this mail.

Warm regards,

Faheem Hussain

Faheem Hussain, Ph.D
Assistant Professor of ICT & Computer Science
Asian University for Women
Chittagong, Bangladesh
Cell:   +88 01711614724
Skype: +1 480 409 1255
Twitter: @faheem_h

*                                                 New Media
*

* *

This course offers a unique blend of communication and development studies,
policy analysis, and technology based innovation research. New Media is a
global phenomenon, emerged in late 20th century, which symbolizes the near
omnipresence of on-demand media content across the world. New Media
encompasses online social networking, voice and data based communications,
and digital audio-visual contents. It works as a catalyst of wide scale
media convergence in every sphere of human society. This course looks into
history of New Media, its place in global communication anthology, its
present socio-economic impacts on developed as well as developing
countries, and the participatory and “democratic” nature of its information
dissemination process. Major issues related to Freedom of Expression,
Privacy, Social Mobilization, Empowerment, Right to Information and the
possible roles of New Media on defining those will also be discussed, based
on contemporary case studies (e.g. Arab Spring, London Riot, WikiLeaks,
Facebook, 4G Network, etc.). Finally, this course focuses on the key
challenges and opportunities of New Media in the coming years, especially
from the Global South’s perspective.