[Air-L] CfP Experiential Learning in Virtual Worlds Conference 2013

Moira Hunter moirahunter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 07:44:34 PDT 2012

*************** PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY **********

CFP Announcement  for 3rd global conference:  *Experiential Learning in
Virtual Worlds Conference 2013*

*7-9 March, Lisbon, Portugal*

*Abstract Deadline 12 October 2012*

*Abstract Length:  300 words*

*url:
http://www.inter-disciplinary.net/at-the-interface/education/experiential-learning-in-virtual-worlds/call-for-papers/
*

Interest in virtual worlds and their application to learning have increased
significantly in recent years. They play an increasingly important role for
people in both social and work-based contexts, and they challenge many of
our assumptions about how we work, teach, learn, and relate to each other.
There are many different types of virtual worlds and they are used for a
multiplicity of purposes including gaming, play, social networking,
learning and development, work, and also business. The experiences gained
in virtual worlds influence who we are in the physical world, and vice
versa. What are we learning through those experiences and how transferable
is that learning from one domain to another?

The main aims of this conference are to increase our understanding of
experiential learning in virtual worlds, both formal and informal, to share
experience and best practice, and to debate future possibilities for
learning in virtual worlds. We believe the conference will be of interest
to educators, researchers, students, independent scholars, trainers,
virtual world users, and anyone interested in what happens in virtual
worlds and what it means for us as human (or virtual) beings.

For the purpose of this call for presentations, we define virtual worlds as
3D, immersive, graphical environments, representing realistic or imaginary
worlds, in which users are co-presented as animated characters (avatars)
and interact with each other and with the worlds’ contents. However, we
recognise both the complexity and contested nature of experiential learning
in virtual worlds and welcome papers that challenge this definition.

As it is such a broad subject area, Experiential Learning in Virtual Worlds
precludes a definitive list of sub-topics, but the following themes are
indicative of the kind of topics envisaged by this Call for Presentations.
Presentations, papers and performances will be considered on any related
topic or theme, but we are particularly keen to encourage papers which
explore research methodologies in virtual worlds. The Steering Group
welcomes the submission of preformed panel proposals.

*Education, training and learning in virtual worlds*

   - Assessment and evaluation
   - Blended learning approaches
   - Corporate training in virtual worlds
   - Education and training in virtual worlds
   - Scenarios, simulations, role-play and experimentation
   - Work-related learning in virtual worlds

*Identity, presence and self in virtual worlds*

   - Art of building a virtual persona
   - Communication modes and etiquette
   - Identity and citizenship in virtual worlds
   - Immersion and presence in virtual worlds
   - Online communities, formal and informal
   - Psychology and affect in virtual worlds
   - Sexuality in virtual worlds
   - Understanding mortality in virtual worlds
   - Virtual and global teams

*Research methods in virtual worlds*

   - Discourse analysis in virtual worlds
   - Ethnographic approaches
   - Ontology and epistemology in virtual worlds
   - Research design, data collection and analysis
   - Virtual world semiotics

*Virtual world technologies*

   - Connectivity between platforms and media
   - Design issues in virtual worlds
   - Human–computer interaction
   - Technological convergence
   - The future of virtual worlds

*Types of virtual worlds*

   - Virtual world technologies in education
   - Virtual worlds for health and social care
   - Medical education in virtual worlds
   - Psychological healthcare in virtual worlds
   - Social work training in virtual worlds
   - Therapeutic interventions in virtual worlds

*Arts and entertainment in virtual worlds*

   - Machinima and virtual film-making in virtual worlds
   - Play, fun, fantasy and horror in the virtual world
   - Massively multiplayer online role-playing games
   - Storytelling and narrative in virtual worlds

*What to Send*
300 word abstracts should be submitted by Friday 12th October 2012. All
submissions are double blind peer reviewed. If an abstract is accepted for
the conference, a full draft paper should be submitted by Friday18th
January 2013. Abstracts should be submitted simultaneously to the
Organising Chairs; abstracts may be in Word, WordPerfect, or RTF formats
with the following information and in this order:

a) author(s), b) affiliation, c) email address, d) title of abstract, e)
body of abstract f) up to 10 key words
E-mails should be entitled: ELVW 3 Abstract Submission.

Please use plain text (Times Roman 12) and abstain from using footnotes and
any special formatting, characters or emphasis (such as bold, italics or
underline). We acknowledge receipt and answer all paper proposals
submitted. If you do not receive a reply from us in a week you should
assume we did not receive your proposal; it might be lost in cyberspace! We
suggest, then, you look for an alternative electronic route or resend.

*Organising Chairs*

*Jim Gritton*:* j.r.gritton at gre.ac.uk
Rob Fisher*:* elvw3 at inter-disciplinary.net*

The conference is part of the *At the Interface* programme of research
projects. It aims to bring together people from different areas and
interests to share ideas and explore various discussions which are
innovative and exciting.
*Please pass this cfp on to others.  Thank you.

Moira Hunter

moira.hunter at paris-malaquais.archi.fr

ENSA-PM, France*