[Air-L] material for Digital Storytelling course

Magdalena Olszanowski m_olszan at live.concordia.ca
Tue Aug 21 19:30:25 PDT 2012

Hi Stefania,

There are two profs at Ryerson in Toronto doing work on DST (Lila Pine through New Media and Jacqui Gingras through Nutrition).

I second Knut Lundby's book Digital Storytelling, Mediatized Stories. It is the most engaging and rigorous book I have found on the topic.

I am not sure this is exactly aligned but here are a few sources for DST:

Couldry, Nick. "Mediatization or Mediation? Alternative Understandings of the	 Emergent Space of Digital Storytelling." New Media and Society. 10.3 (2008): 373-	391.

Ohler, Jason. Digital Storytelling in the Classroom: New Media Pathways to Literacy,	Learning, and Creativity. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, 2008.

LaFontaine, Jennifer. “From the Story Circle to Cyberspace: How Technology	Transforms	the Stories We Tell and How Women Transform the Stories We Hear.”	Women and	Environments International Magazine. 72/73 (2006): 77-81.

Hull, Glynda A. and Mark Evan Nelson. “Locating the Semiotic Power of Multimodality.”	Written Communication. 22, (2005): 224-261.

“Hearing Ordinary Voices: Cultural Studies Verncaular Creativity and Digital Storytelling” Jean Burgess (2006)

Woo, Yen Yen Jocelyn. “Getting Past Our Inner Censor: Collective Storytelling as	Pedagogy in a Polarized Media Environment.” The National Association for Media	Literacy Education’s Journal of Media Literacy Education. 1, 2 (2010): 132 -136.

PhD Student
Communication Studies
Concordia University
Montréal, QC