[Air-L] trolls and Aspergian "sufferers"

Thomas Jones tajone02 at syr.edu
Sun Aug 5 19:14:25 PDT 2012

I  personally don't plan to have a career in academia. Further, I value standing up for oneself and one's beliefs substantially more than bowing to naivety or censorship of "seniors", especially in the presence of behavior antithetical to the discipline of research itself.

My character and value, personally and professionally, is not so frail as to be dictated by the opinion or approval of others. I hope you understand that your credibility too is just as subject as mine as these discussions evolve.

Oddly, the behavior demonstrated throughout this discourse closely aligns to cyber bullying, and on an email list of professional academics and researchers no less. This is not the solution; this is the problem.

Do not make the mistake in assuming that because I am a graduate student that I am not already established in my career. Such assumptions, like many others presented in this discourse, are no more favorable to the credibility or reputation of established researchers either, regardless of their tenure.

Given the email responses on-list thus far, I see little professionalism or reputation reflective its spirit or purpose. Perhaps that is the problem, too much concern for reputation first, substance second.

Given the numerous off-list emails I've received in this conversation from others, I now understand their testimonials - why so many are discouraged from using the list, or have stopped participating altogether. I take this time to acknowledge them, bring this issue to light, and thank them for their support. Perhaps I'll act on their recommendation to follow their lead. My time is too valuable for such behavior.

But let's hope I need not remind you and everyone else - you too were all graduate students once. I hope your own faculty didn't censor your thoughts as much as you attempt to do here. If so, you have defeated the entire purpose of academia, an unfortunate shame in my opinion. I accept that not all will agree.

Thank you.

Thomas Jones
IT Consultant
@OtherTomJones