[Air-L] research of technology use among people with intellectual disabilities

Bloch, Naomi bloch2 at illinois.edu
Thu Aug 9 05:18:15 PDT 2012

Hi Eija,

Here are a few references for you. Note that the Palmer et al. is a 2012 update to the Wehmeyer article you referred to.

Löfgren-Mårtensson L. (2008). Love in cyberspace: Swedish young people with intellectual disabilities and the internet. Scandinavian Journal of Disability Research 10, 125–38.

McClimens A, & Gordon f. (2009). People with intellectual disabilities as bloggers: what's social capital got to do with it anyway? Journal of Intellectual Disabilities March, vol. 13 no. 1 19-30. doi: 10.1177/174462950910448

Palmer, S. B., Wehmeyer, M. L., Davies, D. K. and Stock, S. E. (2012), Family members' reports of the technology use of family members with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 56: 402–414. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2788.2011.01489.x

Parsons, S., Daniels, H., Porter, J. and Robertson, C. (2006), The use of ICT by adults with learning disabilities in day and residential services. British Journal of Educational Technology, 37: 31–44. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-8535.2005.00516.x

Renblad, K. (2003). How do people with intellectual disabilities think about empowerment and information and communication technology? International Journal of Rehabilitation Research, 26, 175–182.

Some difficulties in finding the type of research you're looking for include problems of definition (do we include individuals along the full spectrum of learning disabilities in our "demographic of interest"?); the tendency of some researchers to lump all types of disability together under one deficit-oriented roof (which means that if your interest is primarily about demographic numbers, you may want to cast a wider net with your search terms); the difficulty of using research methods such as surveys and self-reporting to understand the technology use of individuals with intellectual disabilities, etc.

I don't know if you're also interested in "interventionist" style studies, in which researchers work with participants to develop new technology skills. My impression is that this is not your focus, however, I've included at least one here just fyi.

Best,
Naomi Bloch