[Air-L] Critical Facebook Research Asks for Crowdfunding

Oliver Leistert leistert at mail.uni-paderborn.de
Wed Aug 22 03:40:55 PDT 2012

Dear AIR-Community,

about a year ago we published an anthology called 'Generation Facebook'.
It contains ground-breaking theoretical papers and essays by leading
international scholars such as Saskia Sassen, Geert Lovink and Mark
Andrejevic. It is used widely in university teaching, received critical
acclaim by the press and is deemed invaluable by media activists. So
what's the catch? Right now, the book is only available in German.

We think that this outstanding collection deserves an international
audience. We also think that the contributions should be freely
available in an Open Access format. Since we don’t have the means to
make this happen all by ourselves, we decided to ask you (a.k.a “the
crowd”) for support to:

a) cover the production costs for an Open Access version that is
freely available right from the beginning.

b) finance translations of texts that originally were contributed in German.

If you think this is a project that is worth your attention (and maybe
even your money), please take a look at our funding website:

http://www.indiegogo.com/generation-facebook

You can find more information about the German version on our German
publisher’s website:

http://www.transcript-verlag.de/ts1859/ts1859.php

Please help us to spread the word and to turn this into a successful
experiment; please forward this email to anyone potentially interested
and any mailing lists you see fit.

All the best,
Oliver Leistert & Theo Röhle
(editors 'Generation Facebook')