[Air-L] trolls and Aspergian "sufferers"

Elijah Wright elijah.wright at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 14:59:00 PDT 2012

Clearly I should have paid attention to this thread a while ago!

> That being said, I'm going to [safely] assume that neither of the two previous respondents have heard of what Jason Calcanis coined as "Internet Asperger's Syndrome"? While it is still an ongoing, vibrant discussion of diverse perspectives, its underlying premise is certainly feasible.
>
> This should get you started:
> http://calacanis.com/2009/01/29/we-live-in-public-and-the-end-of-empathy/
> http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=59a_1247115195

Calcanis doesn't pass muster as "research" , in my honest opinion.
He's in the venture capital, startup, yell-loudly-at-people and get a
story posted on TechCrunch-or-whatever, scene.

Having one person with a loud-ish voice compare internet behavior to
Asperger's syndrome is highly obnoxious.  Having people who should
know better repeat the statement is just unconscionable and bordering
on 'vile'.

> Thomas Jones | Graduate Student | School of Information Studies
> http://about.me/othertomjones

I think you should take a straw poll of the faculty at Syracuse and
see how many of them will agree that it's okay to flatten / construe
internet trolling down as being Aspergers-driven.  This is one of
those things where even *asking the question* is likely to get you a
very hostile reaction from many folks...

The results should be entertaining.

--elijah