[Air-L] The Networked (Virtual) Book Tour

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 22 08:03:03 PDT 2012

Anyone who has done a book tour know how grueling and time consuming it
is.

On the one hand, the joys of meeting new people, seeing new places,
communicating your ideas, and the stimulation of getting new ideas back.

On the other hand, the time-sink of travel and the 2nd circles of airport
and airline hell. Plus Motel 6 purgatory.

So Lee Rainie & I are launching a virtual book tour for our beloved
Networked book.

Lee's email is: lrainie at pewinternet.org>
I'm wellman at chass.utoronto.ca

Here's the deal:

If you order 20+ copies for your class, you get a virtual lecture from
either Lee or me. 60 minutes or so, including Q&A. Plus a set of our
slides. We'll work out the details on email.

We'll forgo some of the joys of the book tour to avoid the hellish side.
But we Know from our research that we will meet you in person. There ain't
no Digital Dualism -- almost all online acquaintances transform into
in-person relationships.

We won't make much money on this: just a few bucks for lattes.
But we believe strongly in Networked and wnat it to be read and discussed.

After a while, we'll report back how this works out.

Have Skype, will vTravel.

  Barry Wellman

   Just published: NETWORKED: The New Social Operating System.
   Lee Rainie and Barry Wellman. MIT Press.
   http://www.amazon.com/Networked-New-Social-Operating-System/dp/0262017199/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325258020&sr=1-1
        Hardbound $19; Kindle $16
   http://www.amazon.ca/Networked-New-Social-Operating-System/dp/0262017199/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336697601&sr=1-4